LL-L "Language varieties" 2014.01.12 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 12 22:39:29 UTC 2014

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2014 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs <rogerthijs at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

 > From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2014.01.09 (01) [EN]
> ... The more I've learned about how languages change and adapt, and the
more I think about how different written language is from the way people
really speak, the more I think it's futile to try to control this sort of
thing.
Variation within a language is a challenge though for non-native speakers.
Does this mean one has to force standardization in schools?
I'm a bit fascinated by an upcoming singer from the Glasgow area, who ended
second in the recent season of x factor UK.
Some tweets from his twitter account:
Christopher McCann  ‏@ChrissyMcCann93  8 Jan
My wee cousin has done us all proud!! Well done mate you deserve this
@nickymcdonald1pic.twitter.com/uV3N6uHyr3
Nicholas McDonald ‏@nickymcdonald1  8m
Everyone make sure you go out and buy do it all over again by my bro
@ElyarFox
Nicholas McDonald ‏@nickymcdonald1  9 Jan
How about a massive following spree ??
Nicholas McDonald ‏@nickymcdonald1  31 Oct
To everyone waiting out side the house I love yous to !!!!
Nicholas McDonald ‏@nickymcdonald1  9 Jan
I am so happy to tell you all that I'm now signed to @RCARecords & my
album  be out in 8 weeks time !! Who is all going to buy it ? RT RT RT
Vocabulary:
twitter: spree
grammar: yous (there was some comment that girls all over the UK, who
followed the guy, started using "yous", so somebody took action and
replaced the "yous" with "you all" in the messages."
As for the spoken form in what intends to be English, some sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y7ar1pWfIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEzRKuMU5Zg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clGmDP6aV9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfAH9fZBwkU
Even the presenters from itv do not understand his vocabulary (see third
clip)
Compare Nicholas with his competitor Luke from Devon, who speaks more or
less Standard English (4th clip)
With all sympathy, and noting that Nicholas said himself that he was
rubbish at school, I'm still surprised that kids over there do not learn to
speak more standardized English.
His school:
http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5935
He was not fully supported by the judges, who trapped him on his way of
speaking ("sexteen" as he pronounced for his age instead of "sixteen")
However I think this lack of support was compensated by Scottish viewers
voting consistently nationalistic.
In the mean time I started liking some of his songs:
arena audition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C44KsgfCjY
bootcamp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R7SDW5X3R8
final week 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbKYcDXyA4
final week 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p60GuJOvzc4
I even bought a ticket for the x factor show on Sunday March 9 in the
afternoon at Wembley (London is only 2 hrs away from Brussels with Eurostar)
I just wonder if a Scotsman can mobilise sufficient "belieber"-like fans in
England.
Regards,
Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com