LL-L "Idiomatica" 2014.01.21 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 21 19:39:08 UTC 2014

 L O W L A N D S - L - 21 January 2014 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2014.01.19 (02) [EN]

In the bookshops this month: a special issue of "Dossiers pour la Science"
(Nr. 82, Jan-March 2014) about the Evolution of languages.
It is in French, titled: "L'évolution des langues" and has 120 pp.
The first 16 introductory pages can be browsed at:
http://www.pourlascience.fr/ewb_pages/f/feuilletage.php?art_id=32527
The contents are on page 2-3.
The paper copy is in the shops for EUR 8:20 in Belgium, EUR 6.95 in France
and CAD 11.50 in Canada.
It can also be ordered for EUR 5:80 as pdf at:
http://www.pourlascience.fr/ewb_pages/e/espace-numerique-detail.php?art_id=32527&num=82
I attach their tree of the Indo-European languages as home-scanned pdf to
this message.
They put the split within germanic languages as of 1750 years ago
and the first split within indo-european languages 8700 years ago.

Regards,
Rogerback when I worked in Eastern Turkey with an English and a Northern
Irish expat, we used to love coming up with "nonimportable" cross-Atlantic
examples which would send our Turkish colleagues to the dictionary in
confusion.. and have us rolling on the floor

a favourite was

Can I borrow your rubber?

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com