LL-L "Grammar" 2014.03.30 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 30 22:54:18 UTC 2014

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Steven Hanson ammurit at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2014.03.22 (01) [EN]

This topic has brought up some interesting points.  I think Sandy’s comment
below sums up Grammar Nazis to the fullest – hypocrites who choose only
what suits their purpose, even to the extent of attempting to perpetuate
the falsehoods that Grammar Nazis’ own rules are based on.  For example,
thou shalt not split infinitives.  Why?  Because Latin didn’t?  So what?
English isn’t Latin, and as such, should not be subject to Latin’s rules,
no more than a football player should be subject to basketball’s rules.

Pat’s comment regarding the up-until-recently common usage of ‘ain’t’
reminded me that I said ‘ain’t’ when I was young.  I must have gotten it
from somewhere (ie, I learned it by way of the natural process that most of
us learn our languages, from family while growing up), and I refuse to
accept the seemingly widespread notion that people are ‘lazy’ when
speaking, as if we sit around purposely thinking to ourselves, “No, I’m not
going to say that; it’s too long; it’s too difficult.”

Steven