[Lowlands-l] Google Translate

Lowlands Languages & Cultures lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 21 05:49:49 UTC 2017

I don't like the idea of creating a kind of rivalry between minority
languages so this thread makes me feel uncomfortable. West Frisian is
(as the North Frisian languages and Saterfrisian) a language of its own,
even if it might show results of the contact to Dutch. I might say the
same about Dutch as I wasn't able to learn it because my Low Saxon was
stronger and taking control. I can read Dutch without big problems - so
Dutch isn't more than a Low Saxon dialect, right? Okay, that was a pun.
I hope you get my point.
Why cannot we applaude Google Translate and Facebook for their decision
and work on for getting the same for Low Saxon and other minority
languages?

As for the relations between the languages around the North Sea: Through
the centuries they had many contacts because of migration, trade and
politics. Of course that had an impact on the languages. English is even
the best example how a language develops because of history.
Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Normans - they all came to conquer what we know
today as England. They all brought their own languages as sign of their
mastery.

Greetings from Kiel,

Anja