[Lowlands-l] Amish & "low German"

Lowlands Languages & Cultures lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 8 20:41:54 UTC 2017

Very interesting. I grew up speaking Plautdietsch. I have written a book Enn Bloomenheim Oppjewossen. If you Google Jack Driedger Plautdietsch you my run across some Plautdietsch reading I have done. I am a 91 year old retired teacher in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. My grandfather Johann Driedger arrived in Canada from Ukrain in 1875 at age 15.
Jack Driedger

On Oct 8, 2017, at 2:03 PM, Lowlands Languages & Cultures <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org> wrote:

On 10/8/2017 2:46 PM, Lowlands Languages & Cultures wrote:
> This article was on the front page of our local newspaper yesterday.  I hope it opens.
I received my undergraduate degree from Middlebury in 1967.  Years after I left the state of Vermont, I hung out with Mennonites in Ontario most of whom spoke or at least still understood the Plautdietsch they or their prents brought with them from Russia after WWII.  This dialect was absorbed by them during the century or so that they lived in the Danziger Bucht after fleeing persecution in Holland.  The founder, Menno Simons (right, you ask, why aren't they called Simonites?), was Friesian.  The Rhineland Amish were there after fleeing from persecution in Austria and Switzerland (hence the name Yoder).  I have a former brother-in-law named Yoder, and his son Kevin is a Congressman from Kansas.  There are perhaps half a million speakers of Plautdietsch mostly in South America, but substantial numbers remain in Ontario and especially Manitoba.  They are the only remaining speakers of the language which was the lingua franca of the Hanseatic League.

Edwin Alexander

 <x-msg://199/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>_______________________________________________