[Lowlands-l] Amish & "low German"

Lowlands Languages & Cultures lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 8 23:35:15 UTC 2017

Plautdietsch is thriving, mostly in South America where old conservative
colonies settled. What stands out most is that its situation is much like
that of Yiddish, in that frumer communities have a favorable aspect in next
generations inheriting the language. That contrasts to communities in
Winnipeg where they're much freer mennonites and consider it a language of
the eldery.

Recently, Google and Facebook added West Frisian, and although I don't
believe it as a language (rather than a dialect of dutch) I'd really like
to see them add Gronings since its a stem of Plautdietsch.

-Best wishes,
Eitan

בתאריך 9 באוק׳ 2017 1:31 לפנה״צ,‏ "Lowlands Languages & Cultures" <
lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org> כתב: