Numerals in Miao-Yao

asposato at BUFFALO.EDU asposato at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed Jan 30 16:10:38 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've been exchanging e-mails with Eugene Chan, a linguist specializing in numeral systems. Here's
his self-introduction from the first e-mail he sent me:

"Greetings from Hong Kong! My name is Eugene Chan; I have been working on numeral systems of
world’s languages for many years.
     I am now working with Dr. Bernard Comrie on documentations of numeral systems of world’s
languages, with special attentions on endangered numeral systems, as traditional numeral systems
of small languages are susceptible to be replaced by dominant languages. I have built up a website
hosted by the Max Planck Institute for Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany and I will share all the data
in due course to promote the research of small languages and raise the awareness of endangered
numeral systems.
     I am still looking for data of numeral systems for some lesser-known Miao-Yao languages."

I've already sent Eugene some Xong data, but he recently contacted me again to say he's looking for
data on numeral systems in any or all of the following Miao-Yao varieties:

A. Miao languages:

1. Chuanqiangdian Miao:
Hmong Dô
Hmong Don
Central Huishui Miao
Central Mashan Miao
Chuanqiandian Cluster Miao
Eastern Huishui Miao
Horned Miao
Northern Guiyang Miao
Northern Huishui Miao
Northern Mashan Miao
Small Flowery Miao
Southern Guiyang Miao
Southern Mashan Miao
Southwestern Guiyang Miao
Southwestern Huishui Miao
Western Mashan Miao

2. Qiandong Miaoː Eastern Qiandong Miao

B. Mienic (Yao) languages:

Moxi
Ao Baio

If anyone subscribed to this listserv has any data on numerals in any of these varieties (or knows
someone who does), I'm sure Eugene would be very glad to hear from you! You can contact him at
eugenechans at hkbn.net, and he'll let you know exactly what sort of information he's looking for.

Adam

&*TICKET_URL(MY-HM,SIGNOFF);
To post to MY-HM list,  send mail to my-hm at listserv.linguistlist.org