Question about the nahuatl word "in".

Fabian E. Pena Arellano fabian at nuclecu.unam.mx
Mon Apr 26 18:52:08 UTC 1999

 	My name is Fabian Pena and I just suscribed to this discussion
 list.
 	I would like to learn to speak classical nahuatl, and as I wrote
 in the subject line, I have a question about the word "in", usually
 translated into spanish as the articles "la, el, los, las ..."
 	The most of the books I have begun to read to learn nahuatl
 translate, for example, "in cihua:tl" as "the woman", since the authors
 consider "in" as a simple article. On the other hand, since the names in
 nahuatl may be used as verbs also, shouldn't the phrase "in cihua:tl" be
 translated as "the one who is a woman (la que es mujer)"?
 	In Launey's Introduccion a la Lengua y la Literatura Nahuatl there
 is very brief explanation which doesn't clarify to me the the usage of
 "in". What is the exact nature of it?

 	Fabian Pena.