article on Aztecs

John B. Carlson jcarlson at deans.umd.edu
Sat Aug 7 16:46:28 UTC 1999

Dear Mel Sanchez, You wrote to the group:

Some list members expressed an interest in an article of some 15
misconceptions about the Aztecs.  It can be found in the journal Wicazo Sa
Review, Spring 1995, Volume XI, No. 1 by Associate Professor at the Univ
of Texas, Austin, Dr. Arnold Carlos Vento.  The title of the article is
Aztec Myths and Cosmology:  Historical Religious Misinterpretations....

Since UT, Austin has such a high reputation in Mesoamerican studies, I
feel it would be strange for them to hire somebody with totally strange
ideas.  But I'm no great scholar.

*********

There are two real misconceptions in your last paragraph.
First, academia is just full of individuals with strange ideas, and
Second, you might be a better scholar that this guy. That remains to be
seen.

The topic (paper) sounds to me like a polemic, but we would all have to
read it before we could comment. I would be interested to see a copy.

John Carlson