article on Aztecs

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Sun Aug 8 06:15:09 UTC 1999

   Part of what Richard was basing his claim on (other than knowledge of
the culture) -- just the mechanics of the language -- is that "cem/cen"
'whole, all' never alternates with "cim/cin", but "centli/cintli" 'maize'
is fairly common.  Sahagun's material given at the end of this message
should leave no doubt.

Best regards,

Joe

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999 CCBtlevine at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/7/99 11:55:17 PM EST, rhaly at ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> << From this little bit I get the sense that there is some PC/New Age
>  revisionism going on here based on a lack of understanding of Nahuatl.
>  Zenteotl is doubtfully from Cen "whole, all" but from Centli/cintli, maize.
>
>  Richard Haly >>
>
> There is Centeotl, Ometeotl, yehecatl, naollin, macuilteotl.  I wonder if
> there is some sort of a pattern here?  I wonder if there is support for the
> belief that centeotl comes from centli except for the similarity of names.

centeotl**

1. otlacatqui *centeotl*, atliayahuican.
      cinteotl was born in the rain-mist (b.2 f.14 p.238).

2. yecoc, *centeotl*.
      cinteotl has arrived (b.2 f.14 p.239).

cicinteo**

3. auh in icuac i, motenehua calonohuac, cali onohuac: yehica
     ca zan cali zan techachan in mahuiztililoya *cicinteo*..
      and when this was done, it was called calonoac, "there
     hath been resting in the houses," because it was only in
     the houses, only in each person's house, that honors were
     paid the maize gods. (b.2 f.2 p.62).

cinteoanazque**

4. niman ic ompehua, in inmilpan, *cinteoanazque*,.
      then they departed to their fields, to get cinteotl. (b.2
     f.2 p.62).

cinteococopi**

5. mitoaya *cinteococopi*,.
      it used to be called cinteococopi. (b.11 f.27 p.282).

cinteootl**

6. in iztac *cinteootl* iteopan: oncan miquia in mamalti, zan
     yehuantin in xixiyoti:.
      the temple of the white cinteotl: there captives died,
     only those with skin sores. (b.2 f.11 p.184).

7. in cinteopan: oncan icaca, oncan pialoya in ixiptla *cinteootl*:.
      the temple of cinteotl: there stood, there was guarded
     the image of cinteotl. (b.2 f.12 p.187).

8. oncan miquia in ixiptla *cinteootl*, cemilhuitl..
      there the impersonator of cinteotl died, by day. (b.2
     f.12 p.187).

9. in xochicalco, oncan miquia in iztac *cinteootl*, ihuan tlatlauhqui
     cinteootl, ihuan no yehuatl in atla tonan..
      xochicalco: there died [the impersonators of] white cinteotl
     and red cinteotl, and also that one [impersonating the
     goddess] atlatonan. (b.2 f.12 p.191).

10. in xochicalco, oncan miquia in iztac cinteootl, ihuan tlatlauhqui
     *cinteootl*, ihuan no yehuatl in atla tonan..
      xochicalco: there died [the impersonators of] white cinteotl
     and red cinteotl, and also that one [impersonating the
     goddess] atlatonan. (b.2 f.12 p.191).

cinteopan**

11. auh in ye teotlac, ompa quimoncacahua, *cinteopan* in iteopan
     chicome coatl:.
      and after sundown they left each of [the foods] there
     at cinteopan, the temple of chicome coatl. (b.2 f.2 p.62).

12. auh no ihuan, in cintli, xinachtli yez: ompa conitquia,
     *cinteopan*, in iteopan chicome coatl,.
      and furthermore, they bore to cinteopan, the temple of
     chicome coatl, the maize which was to be seed. (b.2 f.2
     p.63).

13. auh ye ic contlecahuia in *cinteopan*,.
      and thereupon they took her up to the temple of cinteotl.
     (b.2 f.5 p.105).

14. *cinteopan*..
      the temple of cinteotl (b.2 f.12 p.186).

15. in *cinteopan*: oncan miquia in ixiptla chicome coatl, cihuatl,
     zan yohualtica:.
      the temple of cinteotl: there the impersonator of chicome
     coatl died, at night only. (b.2 f.12 p.186).

16. *cinteopan*..
      the temple of cinteotl (b.2 f.12 p.187).

17. in *cinteopan*: oncan icaca, oncan pialoya in ixiptla cinteootl:.
      the temple of cinteotl: there stood, there was guarded
     the image of cinteotl. (b.2 f.12 p.187).

cinteotl**

18. auh cem ixtli quitequi acatl oncan quitemitia, quitentiquetza,
     in izquitlamantli, ixpan onoc *cinteotl*:.
      and they cut a section of reed; there they filled it,
     they crammed it with everything [which] lay before cinteotl.
     (b.2 f.2 p.62).

19. niman ye ic quinhuica in ichpopochti, quimamatihui in cintli,
     no *cinteotl* motocayotiaya:.
      thereupon they accompanied the young girls as they carried
     on their backs the dried maize, also called cinteotl. (b.2
     f.2 p.63).

20. itoca, *cinteotl*,.
      his name was cinteotl. (b.2 f.7 p.120).

21. conixnamictimoquetza, mec hualmocuepa, itlan hualmoquetza
     in iconeuh in *cinteotl*:.
      she placed herself facing [the god]; then she turned about;
     she placed herself by her son, cinteotl. (b.2 f.7 p.121).

22. mec yauh in ompa ocanato iconeuh: quihuicatiuh in iconeuh,
     in *cinteotl* ano itztlacoliuhqui:.
      then she went where [earlier] she had gone to get her
     son; she went to bring her son, cinteotl or itztlacoliuhqui.
     (b.2 f.7 p.122).

23. iztac *cinteotl* iteopan..
      the temple of the white cinteotl (b.2 f.11 p.184).

24. ahzoc achi quimotquitiz, quipalehuiz in chicome cohuatl,
     in *cinteotl*:.
      perhaps chicome coatl, cinteotl will yet have then carry
     a little, will help them. (b.6 f.3 p.38).

25. inic nahui itoca *cinteotl*..
      the name of the fourth was cinteotl. (b.9 f.6 p.79).

26. auh in *cinteotl*, no toquichtin in ipan mixehuaya ixiuhxayac,
     ihuan ixiuhtlanex, ihuan iayauhxicol texotli, iuhquin tlalpilli,
     ihuan iecacozqui:.
      and also cinteotl was represented as a man, with his turquoise
     [mosaic] mask and his turquoise rays, and his mist jacket
     of [light] blue, as if netted, and his wind jewel necklace.
     (b.9 f.6 p.80).

cinteotla**

27. quinanquilia *cinteotla*,.
      making replies to the corn god (b.2 f.14 p.231).

28. yoaltica tlao *cinteotla*..
      by night did the god of corn shine (b.2 f.14 p.231).

29. quinanquilican *cinteotla*..
      answer the maize god (b.2 f.14 p.244).

cinteotzin**

30. *cinteotzin*..
      [the priest of] cinteotl (b.2 f.13 p.208).

31. in itequiuh catca *cinteotzin* zan ixquich in ipan tlatoaya,
     ic tlanahuatiaya, inic monechicoaya in amatl in copalli,
     in olli in iyauhtli in itech monequia xilonen in ihcuac
     ilhuiuh quizaya,.
      the function of [the priest of] cinteotl was that he directed
     indeed everything; he commanded that the paper, the incense,
     the [liquid] rubber, the yiauhtli which he needed for [the
     goddess] xilonen when her feast day came, be gathered together.
     (b.2 f.13 p.208).

incinteohuan**

32. quinxoxochiotia in *incinteohuan*, in cacalpolco quiquetza:.
      they decked their maize gods with flowers; they set them
     up in each calpulco. (b.2 f.2 p.62).

nicinteotla**

33. za *nicinteotla*.
      only the corn god am i (b.2 f.14 p.231).