article on Aztecs II

micc micc at home.com
Mon Aug 9 04:59:03 UTC 1999

Richard Haly wrote:

> Ouch....
>
> languages (ie. non european ones) where this happens. The spelling of
> Moteuczomah as Moktekuzoma is (as J. Richard Andrews can teach us) a flag
> that this person doesn't know Nahuatl.

why do you say that Moktekuzoma is incorrect and moteuczomah is correct?

the problem arises with the othrographic representation of the Kw sound
in Tekwtli. originally it was written  by the spanish as
tecutli, teuctli and teoctli, by several sources.

But we know that the word has a kw sound and not a -cu sound nor a -euc
sound.
Like in xipe Totekw (Xipe totec)

Hmmm....

 This kind of PC appropriation