Issue of Sacrifice -- ye ixquich....

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Wed Aug 11 03:02:14 UTC 1999

Listeros,
   When you join the local society for the "cultivation of anything" and
get together on a friend's front porch to enjoy each others' company and
talk about the cultivation of ***that*** "anything", you'd probably
respect the ground rules about not spitting on the porch, not cussing loud
enough for grandma to hear it from the kitchen, and not starting arguments
that distract everybody from the purpose of being there.

   Well, if anybody has walked past our porch in the last few days, they'd
shake their head and say, "those people aren't cultivating what they got
together to cultivate!"  The list owner has asked us to recognize that the
"human sacrifice" theme has been run into the ground for purposes of group
discussion.  If Mr. A. and Ms. B. want to continue it privately, that's
their business.  So long as they, being two consenting adults, are using
only each other's time and are not contaminating the water downstream, the
group can go about its business, hopefully in harmony.

   In any case, we should all remember that personal remarks are
out-of-bounds (unless, of course, they are in the nature of a pat on the
back.).  My only personal remark at this point is that I'm glad that Fritz
has provided us this forum for the exchange of ideas, information, and
resources about Nahuatl and the culture associated with it.

Best regards,

Joe

p.s.  Fritz' last reminder: