AZ: Malinalli

mike gaby mikegaby at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 01:43:46 UTC 1999

Listeros,

Recently I had asked the list for a translation of Malinalli.
This was due to a passage in the book _Jaguar Wisdom_ which claimed the word
referred to an "energy cord" that passed between the layers of heaven and
the earth in Aztec beliefs.
I pretty much dismissed this as "esoteric nonsense".
   However, I have found a similar description in a passage in David
Carrasco's _Religions of Mesoamerica_ where he states "Each of the
realms...were permeated with supernatural powers circulating up and down the
cosmic levels through spiral-shaped passages called 'malinallis'."
I am sceptical because he does not quote any sources, and because he adds
the english "s" to indicate plural.
My question to those on the list more familiar with literary sources than I,
is this:
Are there any preconquest or colonial literary sources to suggest that the
Mexica subscribed to this kind of "esoteric" beliefs?  It all sounds pretty
"New Age" to me.
Thanks,
Mike
San Diego