Words of Nahuatl Origin

a8803917 a8803917 at unet.univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 1 18:03:26 UTC 1999

chile comes from the nahuatl-word "chilli" (cf also "chiltic"=red) and
chocolate - as i know - from "xocolatl" ("atl"=water and "xokolli"="sour

fruit", both are also nahuatl words)
concerning the etymology of "cacao"(cacaoatl in nahuatl) i was told in
the nahua region of northern veracruz that the word derives from
"cacahuatic"= "hueco al dentro", what would make certain sense of you
think of the sound when you shake a cacao seed - but i´m not 100% sure
in that and would be pleased to hear the opinion of a linguist to that
question)

                          saludos, juergen

--
Juergen Stowasser