Spanish/English Words w/Nahuatl Origin

Richard Haly Richard.Haly at colorado.edu
Thu Dec 2 17:37:33 UTC 1999

> I'm afraid "ecole! ecole cua!"  has nothing to do with Nahuatl.
> It is pure Italian "ecco li qua" and means 'here they are' or
> 'here it is'.
> Were there any immigrants from Italy at 'Amozoc, Puebla'?
This is interesting, though there may still be another source. I think e cu=
and maybe ecole cua are exclaimed quite often in Afro-Cubano music of
Santer=EDa such as that by Celina [Gonz=E1lez] y Reutilio: e e ecua babalu ay e
ecua: where babalu =3D vodoun priest.

So there may be African sources or indigenous island sources. At any rate, =
don't think it's Nahuatl.

Best,

Richard