nahuatl status (ii)

Dino Borgeche borge at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Dec 7 18:56:01 UTC 1999

Dear Leonel

According to official Mexican statistics, Nahuatl is slowly growing.

1.197.328 were registered as nahuatl speakers in 1990

1.325 440 were registrered as nahuatl speakers in 1995

(source:Instituto Nacional Indigenista
 http://www.sedesol.gob.mx/ini/basica.htm)

The actual number might be somewhat higher, bilingual Meztisos are not
included in this number and I guess INI is likely to underestimate the
number of speakers...

Dino