Nahuatl status

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Thu Dec 9 09:51:00 UTC 1999

Hi,

Many thanks to all people who bothered to respond to my query on the
status of the Nahuatl language. One information here, another there and
one feels a little better. I could not check all the links provided by Jose
Maria, probably due to difficulties of communication on the Web but could
find valuable information both at
http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/countries/Mexi.html  and
http://www.inegi.gob.mx/poblacion/espanol/estudios/censo90.html
though the former source lists not less than 27 flavours, varieties or dialects
of Nahuatl as 27 different 'languages'! No wonder it gets a total of 295
'languages' for Mexico (289 of which are living 'languages', so we are told),
which means probably some 10 to 20 different languages (as a guess), all
this for 1991 or so.
I would not object about comparing the state of the Nahuatl dialects in
Mexico with the state of German dialects in Switzerland (or in all the
German speaking area as a whole). I guess mutual intelligibility is probably
low in distant parts of the dialectal chain in both cases but similarities
end here.
Comparing Schwyzerdutsch in Switzerland with Nahuatl in Mexico
would only be reasonable if one were to compare also the number of
Schwyzerdutsch speakers that are litterate in 'Standard German' with
the number of Nahuatl speakers that are litterate in 'Classical Nahuatl'.
Any ideas about the percentages in one case and in the other?

Jose Maria tells us that there is no higher education in Nahuatl but he
thinks it's more 'from lack of demand than by design'. How could it be
otherwise when we learn that education in Nahuatl is barely beginning
as is also litterary production?
I think what is urgent now in all the Nahuatl speaking areas is the
implementation of a net of grade schools (perhaps you would have to
form teachers, first...), but that is only possible if all Mexican people
is really disposed to pay for it and begins to act without delay. Be
sure no one is going to do it for you. I would bet it is also the best as
a vaccination against 'revolutions'...( You have the examples of the IRA
in Ireland and the ETA in Spain!). What the hell are you waiting for??

Thank you.
Best regards,
Leonel