Nahuatl status (bis)

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Thu Dec 9 13:43:07 UTC 1999

Of course what I meant by  'a net of grade schools' was 'a true (not
half-hearted) net of schools providing basic instruction in Nahuatl for
all Nahuatl-speaking children at least for the first few grades (to
begin with)'. And if it is urged that there is no accepted standard for
the language, the answer is by remarking there is 'Classical Nahuatl'
(Arab-speaking countries do it with 'Classical Arabic') and traditional
orthography based in that of Spanish is not that bad and would be
perhaps the most economical choice. (Of course if one began from
scratch one could achieve better, but you are not beginning from
scratch...)

Best,
Leonel