Vocabulary Questions and Learning Nahuatl On-Line

Amy mikenaim at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 14 10:09:53 UTC 1999

--MS_Mac_OE_3027993173_89199_MIME_Part

Nancy,

I am trying to learn Nahuatl myself (and Spanish). Here are a few resources
that are quite interesting.I don't have any references here at home from
which I can look up those specific words. But, there also some Nahuatl
dictionaries that you can probably access at a University library. You may
also want to search
for used books on the subject.
http://www.bookfinder.com/

Here is a web site for the Nahuatl Language Institute at Yale University.
There are a few on-line lessons. They aren't easy. But, anything helps:

http://www.yale.edu/nahuatl/main/indexles.html

Here are some other interesting resources:

Lockhart, James. The Nahuas After the Conquest: A Social and CUltural
History of the Indians of             Central Mexico, Sixteenth through
Eighteenth Centuries. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1992.

Lockhart, James, ed. We People Here: Nahuatl Accounts of the Conquest of
Mexico. Repertorium   Columbianum: Volume 1. Berkeley: University of
California Press, 1993.

Leon-Portilla, Miguel, ed. The Broken Spears: The Aztec Account of the
Conquest of Mexico. Boston: Beacon Press,1992.

Leon-Portilla, Miguel. Aztec Thought and Culture: A study of the Ancient
Nahuatl Mind. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press,1963.

Leon-Portilla, Miguel. Pre-Columbian Literatures of Mexico. Norman:
University of Oklahoma Press,1968

Here is a web site for the Nahuatl Language Institute at Yale University.
There are a few on-line lessons. They aren't easy. But, anything helps:

http://www.yale.edu/nahuatl/main/indexles.html

If you need any more info, feel free to e-mail me.

Amy Kinney

--MS_Mac_OE_3027993173_89199_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Vocabulary Questions and Learning Nahuatl On-Line</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
Nancy,<BR>
<BR>
I am trying to learn Nahuatl myself (and Spanish). Here are a few resources=
 that are quite interesting.I don't have any references here at home from wh=
ich I can look up those specific words. But, there also some Nahuatl diction=
aries that you can probably access at a University library. You may also wan=
t to search <BR>
for used books on the subject.<BR>
http://www.bookfinder.com/<BR>
<BR>
Here is a web site for the Nahuatl Language Institute at Yale University. T=
here are a few on-line lessons. They aren't easy. But, anything helps:<BR>
<BR>
http://www.yale.edu/nahuatl/main/indexles.html<BR>
<BR>
Here are some other interesting resources:<BR>
<BR>
Lockhart, James. <I>The Nahuas After the Conquest: A Social and CUltural Hi=
story of the Indians of         &nbs=
p;   Central Mexico, Sixteenth through Eighteenth Centuries.<=
/I> Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1992.<BR>
<BR>
Lockhart, James, ed. <I>We People Here: Nahuatl Accounts of the Conquest of=
 Mexico.</I> Repertorium   Columbianum: Volume 1. Berkeley: Univer=
sity of California Press, 1993.<BR>
<BR>
Leon-Portilla, Miguel, ed. <I>The Broken Spears: The Aztec Account of the C=
onquest of Mexico.</I> Boston: Beacon Press,1992.<BR>
<BR>
Leon-Portilla, Miguel. <I>Aztec Thought and Culture: A study of the Ancient=
 Nahuatl Mind.</I> Norman: University of Oklahoma Press,1963.<BR>
<BR>
Leon-Portilla, Miguel. <I>Pre-Columbian Literatures of Mexico.</I> Norman: =
University of Oklahoma Press,1968<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Here is a web site for the Nahuatl Language Institute at Yale University. T=
here are a few on-line lessons. They aren't easy. But, anything helps:<BR>
<BR>
http://www.yale.edu/nahuatl/main/indexles.html<BR>
<BR>
If you need any more info, feel free to e-mail me.<BR>
<BR>
Amy Kinney<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3027993173_89199_MIME_Part--