Color questions

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 14 17:24:43 UTC 1999

Does anyone know the reconstructed form for red in proto-Uto-Aztecan.

Were the ancestors of the Nahuatl-speaking groups agricultural folks
before they landed in the Valley of Mexico.

Was chihchiltic their word for red when they were pre-agricultural.

It only stands to reason that  an agricultural people would use the name
for an important, red food for their word for red. The proto-Algonquian
term for blood mec,kwi- became the term for red in most of the descendant
languages of these hunting people.

Michael

Michael McCafferty
C.E.L.T.
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Glory" (what a word!) consists in going
from the me that others don't know
to the other me that I don't know.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez