Color questions

Jose Maria Hernandez Gil hernand at dcsun1.epfl.ch
Tue Dec 14 18:56:00 UTC 1999

To my knowledge, the Mexica arrived in Aztlan around the time Teotihuacan
started to become a power (200-400 CE). Unless they went from being
agricultural to nomadic, they were not agricultural until well into this
millenium (around 1250?), when Tula fell and the Chichimeca started
entering the Anahuac and eventually the Valley. Perhaps other Nahuatl
speaking people were agricultural before, but I do not think that it is
+-200 years.

As to chilli being the root/derivative of chihchiltic, I would guess no.
First of all, chiles are always red (in fact the hottest ones I've tasted
were yellow) and most, I would say, are green. Anyway, given the common
nature of color, I would assume chihchiltic was in use well before the
arrival of the Mexica in Anahuac, before they came across chile. Perhaps
it might be related to a third word or be borrowed from a previous
language (my guess) and merely adapted to Nahuatl.

My 2 cents...