English Only Words Of Nahuatl Origin

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Dec 30 22:48:40 UTC 1999

It would seem that most if not all came to English from Spanish, as there
was scant or no contact between English speakers and Nahuatl speakers.
At the same time, it is not impossible that a few words came to English
through French, given the history of Mexico. But you will have
to do some fancy in-depth philological phootwork to phigure out if any
came into English directly from Nahuatl.

Best,

Michael McCafferty

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Marcos Ochoa wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I while back I asked for spanish and english words of nahuatl origins. I would
> like to refine this list to english-only words of nahuatl origins. Or is it that
> ALL english words of nahua origins always come to us via a spanish "filter"?
>
> Regards,
> Marcos Romero-Ochoa

Michael McCafferty
C.E.L.T.
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Glory" (what a word!) consists in going
from the me that others don't know
to the other me that I don't know.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez