Words of Nahuatl Origin

DAKIN ANDERSON KAREN dakin at servidor.unam.mx
Wed Dec 1 23:51:07 UTC 1999

Jim and Fritz,
We got off the article with revisions to Ancient Mesoamerica not too long
ago, so I'm not sure in which issue it will appear yet, but the basic
arguments are that there is both Nahuatl dialect and early loanword
evidence
from a great number of Mexican languages, as well as from the Philippines
and Spain (for instance an old dialect in Asturias), and I think 17th
century Holland, that the original form for
"chocolate" was
(is in those dialects that have it) chikola:t(l), which became
chokolatl by vowel harmony and was borrowed into Spanish that way  (cf.
also that Churubusco comes from Huitzilopochtli). Chikolli (with some
variation as far as long vowels in chi-), refers to a stick with twigs or
short roots on one end used as beaters.  The same word is used in Morelos
and parts of Guerrero for the long pool with a piece on the end used to
harvest fruit.  In Isthus and Yucatan Spanish apparently chicolear means
to beat chocolate or other liquid.  Our proposal for cacao is a bit more
complicated, but relates it to the word for 'egg' in various Southern
Uto-Aztecan languages -- It's probably better to leave it until the
article comes out.  We will be interested to see what reactions there are,
including those from this list.
What to me was the most rewarding evidence  when the ideas were falling
together was the fact that some speakers gave chikolat(l) to us right off,
but other
speakers who didn't give it to us when first asked, if I would hesitantly
suggest it, they would break into smiles and say "Why that's the OLD
word!".   Anyway, Soeren Wichmann and I hope that it will be out soon.

Karen Dakin
Instituto de Investigaciones Filologicas
UNAM