New Testament in Classical Nahuatl.

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Thu Jul 1 00:38:01 UTC 1999

>        Some days ago I read on the web that in 1833 someone translated
>Bible's New Testament into classical nahuatl. I wrote the people in charge
>of those pages (one of Nance's profiles) but don't know about it.
>        Does anyone of you know if it is still on print? Thank you.
>

>        Fabian Pena

The place to look up something like this is in Volume II of Ascensi=F3n H. d=
Le=F3n-Portilla's Tepuztlahcuilolli:  Impresos en n=E1huatl.

On p. 138, entry 947, is "El Evangelio de San Lucas del lat=EDn a mexicano o
mejor n=E1huatl.  Londres, Samuel Bagster, ed., 1933, 139 p."

It's not likely to still be in print.  But if you look into the index of
Tepuztlahcuilolli, you will find under "Biblia, traducciones al n=E1huatl.
Del Nuevo Testmento" over 75 entries.  Most of them are for parts of the
New Testament published in Nahuatl in this century.