locative suffix -n

Accounts Clerk rcoleman at library.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 02:23:41 UTC 1999

>>I have no definite answer to you on this matter (incidentally, I wonder if
someone
>>"wiser"  in the list could be of some help in elucidating this point also
to me);

Unfortunately, those "someone wiser" are not forthcoming. Joe Campbell is
probably thinking this is another stock market low point :) :) :).

In their absence I post the following information from Andrews:

Locative Suffix -N
==================

The locative suffix -n meaning "place" is used to create locative nouns.

There are 2 formations:

1) -n suffixed to ca:tl
------------------------
a) Preterite Agentive Noun Stem + -N

e.g. Class A:  mich-namaca-0-ca:-n  i.e. a place where one sells fish, a
fish market.

e.g. Class B:  tla-chi:uh-0-ca:-n  i.e. a place where one makes something, a
craftsman's shop.

b) -N suffixed to ya:
Meaning a place of customary activity.

e.g. tla-namac-o:-ya:-n-0  i.e.  a place where things are customarily sold,
a market.

e.g. cochi-hua-ya:-n-0  i.e. a place where people customarily sleep, a bedroom.

2) Other Uses

ca:n = what place is it?  Where is it?
ahca:n = It is no place, it is nowhere.
onca:n = that place, there.