xoconozlte

Robert G. Comegys robc at csufresno.edu
Fri Jul 2 04:40:52 UTC 1999

Dr. Francisco Hernandez (1515-1587) reports that the second Ayohuitztli
is a common spiny genera which others call xocoitzli and which grows
everywhere. [Hernandez mostly traveled the Valley of Mexico] Its fruit
lacks appreciable flavor or color... Make a dough (harina) and mix with
the ointment (grasa) called "acaxin" or with resin, applied it takes
away the itch (or mange). It grows in places that are hot or temperate,
near or next to water. It has been identified with Echinops by two
authorities, and in this century by two authorities as "Solanum carnutum
Lam." which M. Batalla reports is a species near to S. torvum which has
applications against illnesses of the skin. See Francisco Hernandez
Obras Completas Tomo II Vol. I page 55 (Libro II Cap. XXII of Historia
natural de nueva españa) Universidad Nacional de México,  1959 and also
Vol VII of the complete works of Hernandez, page 409 for the references
to Echinops and Solanum carnutum Lam. I looked for some explanation of
acaxin, but there was nothing else in the indexes or the lists of
indigenous terms. Regards John Comegys robc at csufresno.edu