mailings

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at stadt-frankfurt.de
Fri Jul 2 08:21:53 UTC 1999

> dear folks, i am receiving far too much mail that is not really that
> useful.

Which leads to the question why we have this list.

> i don't know if there is a way to receive information only on
> resources, books, conferences, etc,

Like a bulletin board? Without comments, opinions (scholarly and
otherwise)? Not much fun, I imagine, and not mind tickling either.

> and not all the back and forth.

For those who actively participate this "back and forth" is much more
useful, I think. It's about *sharing* knowledge, not about one side
being the supplier of information and the other the taker. People have
the chance to discuss things without having to cover 10,000 miles to
see each other. Academic life has far too long consisted of people
sticking to themselves, keeping stuff in the drawers of their desks
(for whatever reason), lacking the opportunity to quickly talk over
this or that matter with a colleague. Others who whitness these
conversations can throw their own views in which in the end may have
some synergetic effects and clear things up.

But maybe there are other opinions on this here. The mic's open...

One thing, yes: I haven't seen much exciting discussion on here lately
either (but I'm sitting in the glass house...)

Henry