What is quelites (quilitl) and a chocolate question

micc micc at home.com
Mon Jul 19 06:41:11 UTC 1999

Quelites are usually availabl eat most mexican foods here in California,
and definately available in tijuana....

chocolatl, was drunk, mixed with water, honey, and sometimes if
availablre vanilla.

It was an elite luxury good.  Since cacao beans were used as money, only
the nobility, and the emerging middle class of the merchants could
afford to "eat their money"

It appears that the word cacao is a direct loan word from the Maya, in
whose regions it grows.  "Cacaoatl cacao + atl = water of cacao"

I believe that chocolatl comes from xocoa "bitter or raw" and atl, but i
recall a long exchange of messages, on this list as to how this was not
correct.....