suggestions for Indigenismo to nonindigenous audience

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Jul 20 11:29:44 UTC 1999

There are native onions.  These include Allium triccoum, Allium canadense,
Allium cernuun.  All were well known to historic Indians in the Midwest.
The first two were called, respectively,/shika:kwa/ (literally 'skunk')
and /wa:pipina/ (literally 'white potato') in Miami-Illinois. Allium
canadense actually had several names, one of which alludes to its red top.

Best,

Michael

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 cristi at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Mary Hopkins wrote:
> >
> > > Onions are Old World, too, though they're just as thoroughly integrated
> > > into Mexican cuisine at this point as tomatoes and peppers are into
> > > Italian. MH
> >
> > All varieties?  I thought that there were "green" onions of some variety
> > in the New World, but I can't recall where I got this impression.
>
> I wouldn't be able to believe that with wild onions all around them
> (as there are all over north america), there would be a large group
> of native americans who had never learned that they tasted good....
>
> Cristi

Michael McCafferty
C.E.L.T.
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Glory" (what a word!) consists in going
from the me that others don't know
to the other me that I don't know.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez

Michael McCafferty