About human sacrifice.

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sat Jul 24 08:27:17 UTC 1999

Human sacrifice was discussed at great length on this list in the
not-too-distant past.  Perhaps a visit to the list's archives (if there
are any) would be helpful.  Human sacrifice is no big deal.  Eating humans
is no big deal.

Back to my breakfast,

Michael

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Fabian E. Pena Arellano wrote:

> 	Hello again:
>
> 	I just read a couple of messages asking information on the human
> sacrifices which are supposed to be executed by the aztecs.
> 	I am also confused wether they existed or not. Sometimes it seems
> to be something given as granted rather than as result of an exhaustive
> and objective research. By 1990 a swiss got his Ph. D. in anthopology in
> Bern with a criticism to the sources considered as the classical and
> definitive evidences of the existence of the human sacrifices among the
> aztecs. I cannot recall his name right now, but next week I can write for
> all the interested. His thesis is noy published in english or spanish yet,
> only in german. The spanish version exists already but the german editor
> hasn't given his permission to print it unless a mexican public intitution
> agrees to do it. Unfortunately, the UNAM (which is on strike now) and the
> UAM don't want to publish it for some reason I don't know. If you want
> more information about it, please write to Ce: Acatl magazine to the
> address ceacatl at laneta.org.mx; they know how to contact the author of such
> work and have the translation into spanish if you can't read german. There
> have been a couple of articles in english and spanish in some
> newpapers about this work. I will give you the reference on monday.
> 	There is also a spanish researcher who has a book about the use of
> the cannibalism acussation by the europeans to wipe some civilizations
> out. I will write al the information on monday.
>

> 	Fabian Pena.

Michael McCafferty
C.E.L.T.
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Glory" (what a word!) consists in going
from the me that others don't know
to the other me that I don't know.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez

Michael McCafferty