Colonial Nahuatl Documents

Mark Morris mdmorris at indiana.edu
Sat Jul 31 00:39:22 UTC 1999

Neteros,

In an earlier posting, I included a catalog of Nahuatl documents of the
17th-century held by the Archivo General del Estado de Tlaxcala (AGET)
and mentioned that occasionally other documents continue to surface.  I
lied.  The region is teeming with Nahuatl records held by the local
churches, and if you do research in Mexico you understand why those
documents have remained anonymous.  Between Luis Reyes Garcia, AGET and
the pressures of urbanization, a project has been developing where AGET
works cooperatively with communities to organize and maintain their
history.  The current director of AGET, maestra Glafira Magana Perales,
also has had the creative insight to develop a project of digitizing, or
scanning, the contents of these local archives, and then making them
available to the global scholarly community in an effort to promote
Tlaxcala's history.  This project is going forward with the support of
the state government.  I'm writing to inquire what interest there might
be in CDs loaded with colonial Nahuatl documents, to try to gauge if
this would be something to market at the high end to institutions or if
there would be a large demand for the product.  I will post a sample
page at a web address this weekend for those who would like to see the
quality of the scanning.

Sincerely,
Mark Morris, graduate student, history, Indiana Univ.