suggestions for Indigenismo to nonindigenous audience

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at stadt-frankfurt.de
Tue Jul 20 14:19:55 UTC 1999

> Actually...I believe Christy is correct.  Chicago, so I am told is an
> indigenous word that means "place of the wild onions"

Not quite. It is clearly derived from /shikaag/ "skunk" and /-oN/
locative suffix, though this is not Nahuatl but Central Algonkian.
(But as we heard one of the wild onions was named after the skunk in
the Miami language.)

The relevant question is not: were there onions in any part of America
but were they part of the Aztec cuisine (consider differnt climate and
a disdain of the civilized against food of the "savages"). Maybe
somebody can solve this riddle by looking at source texts (to get back
to Nahuatl after all)?

Henry