Nahuatl Names

Asencion Garcia n8upb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 02:12:51 UTC 1999

--- "Rodriguez , Gabriela" <GRodriguez at FM.UCSF.EDU>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to send out a request.  I am looking
> for a Nahuatl name for my
> soon to be born third child.  Would someone be so
> kind and send me a list of
> names with translations into Spanish or English.  We
> would appreciate it
> very much.  Thanks.
>
> Have a great day.
> Gabriela

> Hola Grabriela !

Well, like evrything else, names, words, languages,
change.

My name for instance : Asencion CUITLAHUAC ( He who
ascends to the gods of confidence ) Garcia.
Cuitlahuac, an Aztec king, is unique I guess, my
brother's name was CUAHTEMOC, another Aztec king. My
brother has passed away, however, he left a son with
that name. My son's name is Cuitlahuac.

So whether those names are of interest to you or not,
you may find more in Aztec folklore and Maya or Inca
websites...Take a pick of any...

Nowadays, even the Native Americans like myself have
names such as Aaron, Mary, James, Michael, Eva,
Harald, etc...and have never or have forgotten to name
their children the names of this native land...And of
course last names like Garcia, Gonzales, Hernandenez,
etc..., do not lag far behind....

I am glad that you want to use a Native name for your
children, keep thinking that way. I for one will keep
the name Cuitlahuac oing as far as it can go. Maybe my
son will follow the suit...

Have a great time in naming your soon to be born
child...

Adios A. Cuitlahuac Garcia...