Az: Question regarding Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca...

Jorge Perez de Lara (by way of "John F. Schwaller" <schwallr@selway.umt.edu>) jorgepl at infosel.net.mx
Thu Jun 24 14:11:49 UTC 1999

Listeros,

  Mulling over god triads in ancient Mesoamerica while visiting a
temple supposedly dedicated to Tezcatlipoca at Teopanzolco (in
Cuernavaca), I came upon a plaque by the temple, listing
Quetzalcoatl as a sibling of Tezcatlipoca and as one of a triad of
gods (the name of the third deity escapes me right now) who were
born to the creator deity (or deities?) according to Mexica
thought.

  As I am working on something which could be related to this
triad of gods, I would like to toss two questions at listeros:
1. Who is/are the creator deities (i.e., the begetters of
Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca and the third god, whose name keeps
slipping my mind)?; and, crucially for my work,
2. Is there a sequence (and dates in the Tonalli) for the birth of
this triad of deities?

Jorge Perez de Lara
Mexico

jorgepl at infosel.net.mx