Meanings of Names

Tezozomoc tezozomoc at std.teradyne.com
Thu Jun 24 18:20:52 UTC 1999

John,  I offer this analysis

for Matlal-ihuitl

As Joe has suggested, Dark-green + feather -> green feather.

For tlacoehua it is much harder.  Here are some permutations.

tlaco:tl -> stick
ehuatl -> shirt, skin, peeling, bark

One possible is piel de vara, camisa de vara, etc.

Another is Tlacoh -> slave
Piel de esclava.

Still another is Tlahco and I am leaning more towards this, third daughter.

There was the common practice of naming kids by the order of their birth.

I have seen nochehuatl as prickly pear peeling, but I did not see anything for
nochhuetl??

Necahual is derived from cahua -> to remain.

I have seen neca:hualo which means people remain.

Oh, well.....

Tezozomoc