Meanings of Names

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Fri Jun 25 11:12:48 UTC 1999

>In the list I sent out, I have some questions about what the names mean.
>Specifically I am a bit stumped on boys names:
>Any ideas?

>Matlalihuitl
'Dark-Green Feather'

>Nochhuetl
Don't know.  But the similar form Nochehuatl means 'consistent through and
through' which strikes me as a quality the Nahua would have admired.

>Matlal
'Dark Green'

>Female names:

>Tlaco (half?)
'In-the-Middle' (birth order)

>Necahual
'Survivor, Left-Behind'  (Maybe this means 'Orphan')

>Tlacoehua
'Emerged-in-the-Middle' (i.e., middle in birth order)

Listeros, if you are use the list in the original message, please note the
following typos:

"Yaolt" should read Yaotl ('Enemy')

"Cipctli" should read Cipactli ('Caiman, Alligator')

Fran