Teoti:-hua-0-ca:-n

Accounts Clerk rcoleman at library.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 06:11:38 UTC 1999

I did not get any corrections on my last post regarding teoti:-hua-0-ca:tl.
So, it would seem that I am on the right track.

Now, take the place name Teotihuacan. Would I be correct in assuming that
there is a preterite agentive noun form here.

So Teotihuacan would look like Teoti:-hua-0-ca:-n :

i.e. Teoti:-hua-0-ca: = (it/one was/became a god) = the preterite agentive
form made up of (teoti = to be/become a god; -hua = impersonal verb suffix;
0 = zero tense suffix; ca:tl = noun that creates the preterite agentive noun
and connects to the locative suffix); plus -n = locative suffix.

These are my assumptions and because I have not been corrected in my
understanding of the place name Teotihuacan. However, having said that, I
know there is one person on the list that will say this is incorrect, that
there is a verb here and not a "noun-ified" verb.  I now depend upon as much
feed back as possible to help me gain a better understanding of the
mechanics behind this name Teotihuacan.

Is it a verb or is it a preterite agentive noun? And Why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Russell Coleman

P.S. How does one render in English the preterite form teoti:-hua-0-c?  Is
it "one/it was/became a god?