R: Teoti:-hua-0-ca:-n

Antonio Perri a.perri at pronet.it
Tue Jun 29 12:39:23 UTC 1999

Dear Russell,
I apologize for the lateness in the answer.
I guess the one you allued it's me, since I wrote some time ago to you in
the list about the reaing of "Teotihuacan". As you probably remember, I
quoted not my own reading of this locative, but the one given by Launey in
his grammar. I wrote as follows:
(indeed, the case of Teo-ti-hua-can is analyzed as a verbal one by Launey:
"The place where gods make themselves (from the impersonal of teoti, "to
become a god")". I quote from Launey grammar: "usually, -can is suffixed to
the participial suffix, then to the "ajectives" in -c -qui, possessive nouns
in -hua, -e, -yo an agent nouns derived from perfect". Notice, however, that
many of these elements (e.g. so-called ajectives) are in fact derived from
verbs, an that the same -can is connected to transitive verbs: e.g. from
com(itl)-chihua, "to make pottery", we have "con-chiuh-can", "place where
they make pottery". In this case, no doubt that "ciuh-" is the root of a
verb "to make" with incorporate object.
Notice, however, that your basic argument could be splitte in two relevant
parts, namely:
i) does the suffix *can* allows for ana analysis such as it is formed from
*ca(tl)* (a nominal suffix) plus a "generic locative" *n*? I have no
definite answer to you on this matter (incidentally, I wonder if someone
"wiser"  in the list could be of some help in elucidating this point also to
me);
ii) does *teoti-hua-(c-atl)* is a nounified verb, or it is just a verb? The
answer to this question is quite simple an quite difficult at the same time:
indeed, one could say "it is both a name and a verb", provided that the
"indoeuropean" binary contrast between names and verbs no longer holds for
an omnipredicative lunguage such as nahuatl. In other words, you could
either consider *teotihua(c-atl)* as a name (but notice that you always need
to translate it as a sort of predicative clause, "one/it was/became a god")
or, in the form *teotihua(c)* as a verb "(the gods) make (made) temselves",
i.e. "they became god". It doesn't really matter which is your option, since
the real meaning of the nahuatl form is someting in-between the two, say, a
predicative form one could translate into English (or Italian, of course)
nounifying it (always in a predicative form) or as a common verbal
utterance.
Sincerely
Antonio