Meaning of Tenochtitl�n

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 2 06:44:52 UTC 1999

One small addition:  the 'te-' of 'tenochtitlan' is 'te(-tl)' [stone].
Fruits that were hard (like green apples) picked up the 'te(-tl)' as a
compounding element to indicate the hardness.  Cf. 'texocotl', Spanish
"tejocote".

Some more -tlan words:

Tototlan
Teocuitlatlan
Mazatlan
Xochitlan
Acaxochitlan
Ahuacatlan
Ahuatlan
Ahuehuetitlan
Amatitlan
Camotlan
Coatlan
Colotlan (not named by the Chamber of Commerce)
Cuautitlan
Chiquihuitlan
Eloxochitlan
Huajolotitlan