Re: Meaning of Tenochtitlán

Accounts Clerk rcoleman at library.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 3 02:13:05 UTC 1999

G'day

I don't quite follow the examples here. If I understand correctly, these
examples are using the suffix -tla:n rather than -tlan. I believe -tla:n
doesn't combine to stems using the ligature "ti" and that it has a close
association with -tlah which I think means or implies "abundance of".
Tenochtitlan uses the suffix -tlan so these examples are possibly not
relevant here. Am I on the right track????

Does -tlan come from tlani?

>On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 Cuauhcoatl at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Noch-tli seems to be the stem of this word, which meens fruit of the prickly
>> pear cactus. The suffix -Tlan meens below, next to, among, or at the base
of.

>> ex. Acatlan- Acatl = reed -Tlan = near the abundance of.
>>      Coatlan- Coatl = snake, serpeant -Tlan = near abundance of.

Accounts Clerk,
Library Administration, Reid Building
University of W.A., Stirling Hwy Nedlands  W.A.  6907  Australia

Tel:  (08) 9380 1904	Fax:  (08) 9380 1012