Nahuatl Query: Nahui Olin

Craig Berry cberry at cinenet.net
Tue Mar 23 06:26:52 UTC 1999

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Matthew J. McDonald wrote:

>         I am looking for an English translation of the following Nahuatl
> words:  Nahui Olin.

'Nahui' is the number 4, 'Olin' (or 'ollin') is 'movement' or
'earthquake'. The combination is a dayname in the 260-day Aztec sacred
calendar.  It happens to be the name of the day on (one of) which this
"Sun" (world creation)  will end, and hence gives its name to the Sun as a
whole.  The center of the famous Aztec "sun-stone" or "calendar stone" is
a stylized Olin glyph, surrounded by glyphs of the four preceding Suns to
bring in the four part.

--
 --*--    Home Page: http://www.cinenet.net/users/cberry/home.html