Tlahui

Jovita Baber jbabe at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 29 14:42:10 UTC 1999

Has anyone taken Nahuatl courses at Tlahui in Morelos? What can you tell me
about the quality of the school, pedagogy, family stay, etc.?

I am a doctoral student at the University of Chicago in History. I an
examining the transformation of native authority and jurisdiction in the
region of Tlaxcala during the sixteenth century. (If anyone is doing
research on Tlaxcala or native nobility during the colonial period, I would
love to talk with you.) I spent 8 weeks last summer studying Nahuatl at the
Intensive program at Yale. While I learned a great deal, I am interested in
deepening my knowledge by learning the language in a natural language
setting. (While I value classrooms for getting an introduction to a
language, I do not think it is the most conduce place to learn fluency in
reading etc.) I plan on going to Mexico this fall to begin my archival
research and thought that a family stay and intensive language study would
be a beneficial start to my time. Thus, if anyone has had experiences at
other schools, I would be interested in hearing about them. Likewise, since
my goal is to read colonial text, I want to make sure that faculty at the
institution is knowledgable about classical Nahautl.

Any suggestion? ideas? comments? You may answer directly to my e-mail
address instead of the discussion group, if you so desire: jbabe at uchicago.edu.

Thank you,
Jovita

Jovita Baber