Aztec star-gazing

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Mon Nov 8 12:17:30 UTC 1999

Hi,

First.
My apologies for having not provided my source about relating the name
Piltzintecuhtli with the planet Mercury. I didn't know it is a controverted
statement... However, as I didn't intend to make any point and even less
enter a scholarly controversy about what I surmised be 'ordinary public
knowledge', I didn't pursue any further my investigation about the source:
I only wrote down the information in my note-book with the word "sic"
between brackets, only to remember myself I had already seen the
selfsame name attributed elsewhere to the Sun god, by another author.
(If I'm required to supply this one too I think I shall scream...)
So, be sure I'll provide publicly (here) the site where I got that important
"information", as soon as I find it out again.
Second.
My question was just about the very names of the planets (if known), not
about which authorities support that names themselves. Mr. Carlson
would perhaps have given a better help to the 'List' as a whole if he
supplied those names (at least the ones there is agreement about)
(remarking passing by that Piltzintecuhtli = Mercury is far from certain)
instead of getting questioning what my source was.
By Jove! Have I ever suggested I was expending an 'original and
important' opinion? I can only assure everybody I have not 'forged' myself
the disputed equation as I will show when I find out the source of so
"disturbing" an assumption.
As it is, I can only quote an ancient Greek saying about such a 'void
discussion about nothing': "peri onou skias", that is to say, 'about the
shadow of an ass'...

Best regards.
Leonel

P.S. I just found it out. Please click the following link:

http://northcoast.com/~spdtom/a-god3.html

and look it up in alphabetic order s.v. 'Piltzintecuhtli'.
Thank you for your attention.
Leonel