Piltzinteuctli etc. website

Richard Haly rhaly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 8 17:50:57 UTC 1999

PILTZINTECUHTLI-"Youthful God"

Also known as the representation of the planet Mercury. Known as a young god
and his name means "Prince" who had golden
hair like the sun. During pole climbing ceremonies conducted during
festivals he was represented by young men dressed in his
image. This deity may also have been worshiped in some fashion in
conjunction with the sun.

Legends state that PILTZINTECUHTLI was a second generation god and was mated
with a goddess created from a lock of
hair of Xochiquetzal, the "Flower Princess". This mating produced a son,
Cinteotl (Cenotel?), the maize god. Piltzinteuctli was
seen as a strong spring sun cohabiting with the mother earth to make corn.

This is from the website Leonel mentions. Some sources are documented
(Gilmor, Brundage, and Townsend) the first two, are not critical sources
(Brundage sees through "Classical" eyes) and Townsend is as solid as an
general text in that area can be (tho' my students complain, he doesn't cite
his sources enough either....)

Lots of spelling mistakes in the Nahuatl. I think the website in general is
part of a series  aimed at High School or Community College which for some
reason implies that students needn't think critically until late college...

Richard Haly