Aztec star-gazing

mike gaby mikegaby at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 05:45:57 UTC 1999

Leonel,
You needn't feel offended by Mr. Carlson's response.  The concern that many
on the list share is the spreading of misinformation, usually unintentional.
It is especially disturbing to those whose life work is the study of these
cultures and languages.  It is their life and they take it very seriously.
  As your studies of Aztec religion takes you deeper into the subject, you
will quickly discover that sources of information becomes a central focus.
These sources become a guide-post of sorts that allows the scholar/student
to judge for themselves the validity of the information they are reading.
Consider the people who firmly believe and expound that the origin of
Mesoamerican culture can be found in Atlantis or worse, the Pleides systems
(this of course being an extreme example of misinformation).  Or simply ask
the average person on the street about Mayan or Aztec culture and their
sources, they are not even aware of.
  The website you mentioned is quite impressive in it's body of information,
however some of the spellings and translations seem to be questionable.  The
site also seems to be trying to relate Mesoamerican religion in Classical
Hellenic terms...that can pose a lot of problems.  This is the first time I
have ever seen "Piltzintecuhtli" associated with Mercury, or any other
heavenly body besides the sun for that matter.  Clearly that Aztecs were
quite familiar with the visible planets....I think the debate of relating
these to named personages is still unsettled.  Venus's importance is much
older than the Aztecs civilization and was featured prominently in
Mesoamerican religion...thus it's namesakes are widely known.
As for the others, well consider your source first.
Good Luck in your studies,
Mike Gaby