Adjective formation

Matthew Montchalin mmontcha at OregonVOS.net
Thu Nov 11 22:51:31 UTC 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, R. Joe Campbell wrote:

|              Key to "Adjective" Formation and Verb Sources
|
| -c (preterit ending attached to basic verb)
|
|   Source Verb                         "Adjective"        English
|
|    ahhuiya (be fragrant)              ahhuiyac           fragrant

Thanks for the excellent list!

I notice that you are using the conventional Spanish orthography.  I'm
curious, does the letter y in Nahuatl represent the English y sound or the
Spanish y sound?  These sounds can be distinguished with some practice.
For instance, ahhuiya would really be awiya?  What are the lengths of the
vowels?

Did Classical Nahuatl care about lengths of vowels when it came to poetry?
If uppercase denotes long vowels, would the word be awiyA or awIya or
Awiya?  Does a trisyllabic word usually have only one syllable long, the
other two short?