in cuappetlapan

Leonel Hermida leonelhermida at netc.pt
Wed Nov 17 12:31:11 UTC 1999

Hi,

In cuappetlapan, in ocelopetlapan oyeco, in oimmac *manca*
in cuappiaztli, in cuauhxicalli, in ocuauhyacanque, in
ocatlitique in tonatiuh in tlalteuctli:
they came exercising military command; in their hands
rested the eagle tube, the eagle vessel; they led the eagle
warriors; they provided drink for the sun, for tlaltecutli.
(b.6 f.9 p.106)

I was able to depuzzle 'in cuappetlapan in ocelopetlapan' (please
correct me if I am wrong: 'petlatl' is 'reed mat', so petlapan ('on the
reed mat') must mean s.t. like 'office', so cuappetlapan < *cuauh-
petlapan and ocelopetlapan must translate as 'the eagle-office
[and] the ocelot-office) but I cannot find the verb root in 'oyeco'
(ye?, yeco?, co?, though this must mean 'they came')...; the next
doubt is 'oimmac' (unless 'imma' means 'their hands', immac = 'in
their hands' and o- is the antecessive prefix ??); 'cuappiaztli' and
'cuauhxicalli' pose no problems but there remain the two verbal
complexes o-cuauh-yacanque? and o-c-atli-tique?

Thanks to Michael, Fran and Joe. I'm impressed with the Aztec
pharmacopoeia (*pahamatl)!!

Best regards,

Leonel