Translation question

Richard Haly rhaly at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 17 23:24:12 UTC 1999

Hi folks,

While c.95% of the following is reasonably clear to me, I'd love some input
on the section between asterisks for which I have too many possibilities:

ica tehuan tomaticazinco .
ticMochihuilizino,=20
nonic sentet ystac Amat
tacuilolisti tapualisti
motocallotia carta=8A
quenami huel Cualzin
**ticmozintoquilizino
Huan ticMozintepostoquilizino. **
Huan tic motilizino,
tein Huel Conteteneutihuiz =AD
Huan tein huel Contetenquixtizinotihuiz =AD

This is perhaps more intelligible if I change it to a -tl dialect and
substitute y for -ll, etc. thus:

ica tehuan tomaticatzinco .
ticMochihuilitzino,
nonic centetl yztac Amatl
tlacuilolizti tlapoalizti
motocayotia carta=8A=20
quenami huel Cualtzin
**ticmotzintoquilitzino
Huan ticMotzintepoztoquilitzino. **
Huan tic motilitzino,
tlein Huel Conteteneutihuiz =AD
Huan tlein huel Contetenquixtizinotihuiz =AD

I didn't change ticmotzintepoztoquilitzino  though it also appears (equally
honorific)  ticmotzintepostequilizino (in a later ms.): I think the problem
begins with tepoz/tepuz etc.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Richard Haly