Any suggestions?

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Nov 18 11:45:17 UTC 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Leonel Hermida wrote:

> Please allow me to put my "two cents worth" on "poxauh quincuic
> intechhuic": as I have it  'cui= take,

Michael:

yeah, cui is correct.  it's not cuica.

the -c is the preterit marker on the verb.  'quincuic' is 'he grabbed
them"

Galen is correct that -techhuic is a "double postposition." This animal is
**quite** common in "Classical" Nahuatl.

With the direction postposition -huic, 'took them' is an acceptable
translation.

 grab' and 'cuica= sing' so to
> explain the spare "-c" in 'quincuic':
> "having grabbed them, they softened [and] brought them to us"
>

> Have I put the foot on it?
> Leonel
>

> >I think you are correct about quincuic and intechuic.  The latter, "to
> >near them" is not what is thought of as "standard" Classical Aztec, but
> >it seems to occur in Tlaxcala.  It's Poxauh that's got me stumped.
> >
> >Richley
> >
> ><<< Galen Brokaw <brokawg at mail.lafayette.edu> 11/17  4:11p >>>
> >>
> >> Poxauh quincuic intechhuic.
> >
> >I'm no expert, but I had some free time just now. As I was working on
> >this, I received Richard's post. I came up with something a little
> >different, but I was having trouble relating "poxauh" with the rest of
> >the phrase. This is what I had:
> >
> >It swelled up (or it got soft) [from poxahua], he took (in a grabbing
> >kind of way) them to them.
> >
> >I was translating "intechhuic" as:
> >in=3rd person plural possessive
> >-tech=postposition: attached to
> >-huic=postposition: towards
> >
> >So, techhuic would be a double postposition.
> >I've seen before where Nahuatl will put two post positions together, but
> >I don't remember seeing "techhuic" before.
> >Am I way off?
> >Galen

Michael McCafferty
C.E.L.T.
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana
47405
mmccaffe at indiana.edu

"Glory" (what a word!) consists in going
from the me that others don't know
to the other me that I don't know.

-Juan Ramon Jimenez