Translation question

Mark David Morris mdmorris at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 19 16:07:18 UTC 1999

Richard et al,

Off the top of my head isn't going to be much help because I swear I
haven't seen "toca" used in this way.  What is the year of this document?
Do you think we are talking about printed material?   I'll look
at some similar documents and ask around to try to give you a hand.

Mark Morris

P.S.  I have a few problem phrases myself, one of which is "inquixic."
I'll send the context later.

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Richard Haly wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> While c.95% of the following is reasonably clear to me, I'd love some input
> on the section between asterisks for which I have too many possibilities:
>
> ica tehuan tomaticazinco .
> ticMochihuilizino,=20
> nonic sentet ystac Amat
> tacuilolisti tapualisti
> motocallotia carta=8A
> quenami huel Cualzin
> **ticmozintoquilizino
> Huan ticMozintepostoquilizino. **
> Huan tic motilizino,
> tein Huel Conteteneutihuiz =AD
> Huan tein huel Contetenquixtizinotihuiz =AD
>
> This is perhaps more intelligible if I change it to a -tl dialect and
> substitute y for -ll, etc. thus:
>
> ica tehuan tomaticatzinco .
> ticMochihuilitzino,
> nonic centetl yztac Amatl
> tlacuilolizti tlapoalizti
> motocayotia carta=8A=20
> quenami huel Cualtzin
> **ticmotzintoquilitzino
> Huan ticMotzintepoztoquilitzino. **
> Huan tic motilitzino,
> tlein Huel Conteteneutihuiz =AD
> Huan tlein huel Contetenquixtizinotihuiz =AD
>
> I didn't change ticmotzintepoztoquilitzino  though it also appears (equally
> honorific)  ticmotzintepostequilizino (in a later ms.): I think the problem
> begins with tepoz/tepuz etc.
>
> What say ye?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard Haly

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more
grief. Eccl 1:18

To realize that our knowledge is ignorance, this is a noble insight. To
regard our ignorance as knowledge, this is mental sickness.  Only when we
are sick of our sickness, shall we cease to be sick.  The Sage is not
sick, being sick of sickness; This is the secret of health.  TTC 71

MDM, PhD Candidate
Dept. of History, Indiana Univ.